The Dominican monastery of St. Petar Mučenik (St. Peter the Martyr) was founded in 1482 by a venerable gentleman from Piacenza. At the end of the 16th C., following the Turkish attack on the island of Hvar, it was fortified with two rounded turrets. In the church, which was rebuilt in 1896, there is the tomb of the famous Croatian poet Petar Hektorović and his mother Katarina. Hektorović's lines in the Croatian language, from the 16th C., are carved into the stone over the church’s entrance from the side of the cloister. This monastery’s numerous works of art can be found on the altars (the most beautiful being a big, painted, wooden renaissance crucifix on the main altar) and in the monastery’s museum. Undoubtedly the most valuable painting is the “Oplakivanje Krista” (The Mourning of Christ) by the Venetian master, Jacopo Tintoretto (1518–1594) that was once was in the Hektorović alter in the church. The oldest inscriptions to found in Croatia are preserved in this museum - written in Greek, they are testimony to the tempestuous life of the Greek town, Faros, from the 4th to the 2nd centuries B.C. There is a large library in the monastery with manuscripts and incunabula (the first printed books) and a part of that book’s heritage is exposed in the monastery’s museum. Dominican monastery is open for visitors from May to October. All other information is available on phone number ++385 (0)21 765 442.